Applied Behaviour Analysis and Autism
Recommendations for Future Research
There is still a need for more research in some areas. For example,
- Research is needed to evaluate the longer term effects of those interventions and techniques which incorporate the principles of ABA - most studies involve only relatively short follow-up periods
- There is a need for more comparative studies of interventions and techniques vs. other high quality, autism specific pre-school programmes.
- Although some randomized control trials have been conducted these are small in number and the quality of the alternative intervention has not necessarily been of a high standard.
- Any new research will need more focus on fidelity (of both the ABA-based interventions and the comparison interventions). There is also a need to explore in much greater detail moderators and mediators of treatment effectiveness.
- In particular, the characteristics of the individuals who do, and do not, respond to intervention require systematic investigation.
- Any future research should also involve people on the autism spectrum (including individuals who may be non-verbal) to review the efficacy and ethical basis of interventions based on applied behaviour analysis.
- 31 Oct 2017
- Last Review
- 01 Sep 2016
- Next Review
- 01 Sep 2019