Mental Health and Autism
Mental health problems appear to be common in people with autism as well as their families and carers. For example
- 84.1% of children with autism met the full criteria of at least one anxiety disorder.
- 1 in 15 people with Asperger syndrome experience depression (Tantam, 1991).
- 8% of children with Asperger syndrome and 10% of children with high-functioning autism were diagnosed with OCD.
- People with Asperger’s syndrome are relatively more likely to have delusional beliefs than other people.
- There is no evidence that people with autism are more likely than anyone else to develop schizophrenia
- 02 Nov 2017